7 Times an Oscar Win Led to Divorce
Winning an Academy Award can solidify one’s place on the Hollywood A-list, but it can also lead to heartache.
According to a recent study, an Oscar win signifies a “sudden positive status shift” which often leads to negative consequences in personal lives, namely with marriage or relationships.
Check out seven stars who fell victim to the so-called Oscar curse after they took home the gold and wound up alone.
1. Just days after winning Best Actress for “The Blind Side” in 2010, Sandra Bullock was rocked by husband Jesse James‘ cheating scandal. Their divorce was finalized in June 2010.
2. Following six nominations, Kate Winslet finally won a Best Actress Oscar for The Reader in 2009. One year later, she and director Sam Mendes announced their split after seven years of marriage.
3. Reese Witherspoon was all smiles after winning Best Actress for Walk the Line in 2006. The following year, she and husband Ryan Phillippe announced their separation. Their divorce was finalized in Oct 2007.
4. After forgetting to thank him the first time around, Hilary Swank made sure to address husband Chad Lowe while accepting her second Best Actress Oscar – this time for Million Dollar Baby – in 2005. By 2007, their marriage of ten years was officially over.
5. In 2002, Halle Berry made history as the first African-American woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for her work in Monster’s Ball. Unfortunately, her luck would run out the following year as she and second husband Eric Benet announced their separation. Their divorce was finalized in 2005.
6. After initially filing for divorce in 2007, Sean Penn and Robin Wright reconciled a few months later. Their wedded bliss continued as he won his second Best Actor Oscar for his work in Milk in 2009. Within the next few months, the couple would file for separation, reconcile again and file for divorce for the last time. Their split was officially finalized in July 2010.
7. Jean Dujardin became the French toast of the town after taking home Best Actor for The Artist in 2012. But the Oscar curse knows no borders, and the following year he and wife Alexandra Lamy split after four years of marriage.
On the bright side, at least we know if Leonardo DiCaprio finally takes home a gold statuette this weekend he won’t be headed for divorce.
The Oscars air Sunday at 5:30pm PT/8:30pm ET on ABC.